MiQ and Highwood Emissions Management have published the first open-access, measurement-informed methane intensity index for the U.S. natural gas sector. The MiQ-Highwood Index builds on leading academic research to provide the most accurate estimate of methane emissions to date.
The MiQ-Highwood Index will allow governments, civil society, and certified gas operators to benchmark methane emissions performance more accurately. The index can be used to identify opportunities for emission reductions and help substantiate climate and ESG goals.
Read our T&Cs here.
Click here to accept our T&Cs and download the free report to help eliminate oil and gas methane emissions this decade.
Click here to accept our T&Cs and download the supporting information to the report.
Terms & Conditions
- Thank you for your interest in the MiQ-Highwood Index (the Index). This summary gives an overview of the Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) applicable to the Index, but it is intended as a summary only, so please read the full T&Cs before proceeding.
- The Index has two components: Referenced Materials, which we have licensed from third parties, and original content that is proprietary to MiQ (we call this MiQ Content).
- In broad terms, we encourage the use of the MiQ Content by Tier-One Users within the physical natural gas industry; by non-profit and governmental organisations; for academic and research purposes; and by journalists. If your activities fall into these categories, you can use MiQ Content without restriction.
- If your use does not fall into the categories above, you can still use the MiQ Content for internal, non-commercial purposes and in presentations, but these T&Cs do not allow you to use the MiQ Content for any Commercial Produce or Service. If you wish to use the MiQ Content for any Commercial Product or Service, please contact us so we can discuss this.
- The Referenced Materials are subject to their own licences, so please refer to those licences for details about how you can use them.
- Your attention is drawn in particular to the limitations of liability set out at clause 8 of the T&Cs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- 1.1 These Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) apply to the MiQ-Highwood Index (the Index) and are between You (as defined below) and MIQ Foundation (MIQ, we, us and our). MIQ is incorporated in England and Wales with company number 14095925 and our registered address is at 1 Burwood Place, London, W2 2UT. To contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1.2 Please read these T&Cs carefully. By clicking ‘Accept T&Cs’, or reviewing or using the Index for any purpose (as applicable), You are deemed to have read and accepted these T&Cs. We recommend that you print or save a copy of these T&Cs for future reference.
- 1.3 If You do not agree with these T&Cs, You may not use the Index for any purpose.
- Interpretation and definitions
- 2.1 In these T&Cs, the following terms have the following meanings:
|Affiliate||any person or entity (including a limited liability partnership) Controlling, Controlled by or under common Control with a party.|
|CC BY 4.0 License||the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence as set out at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode.|
|Commercial Product or Service||any product or service: only provided for a fee; orprovided free of charge, but only to parties who pay You or your Affiliate(s) for another product or service. For the avoidance of doubt, any use of a paywall constitutes a Commercial Product or Service.|
|Control||the power, direct or indirect, to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of an entity whether by contract, ownership of shares, membership of the board of directors, agreement or otherwise and, in any event and without limitation of the foregoing, any entity owning more than fifty percent (50%) of the voting securities of an entity shall be deemed to control that second entity. Controlling and Controlled shall have a corresponding meaning.|
|First Tier User||any: direct participant in the physical natural gas market (including, for example, Gas Buyers, Operators, and physical gas traders and marketers), and any of their Affiliates; any registered charity, non-profit organisation or government agency; or any journalist or academic acting in the capacity of that profession.|
|Derived Material||any Material which incorporates or is derived from the MiQ Content, whether directly or indirectly.|
|Gas Buyer||an industrial purchaser of natural gas.|
|Intellectual Property Rights||all patents, rights to inventions, utility models, copyright and related rights, trade marks, service marks, trade, business and rights in domain names, rights in trade dress or get-up, rights in goodwill or to sue for passing off, unfair competition rights, rights in designs, rights in computer software, database rights, semi-conductor topography rights, moral rights, rights in confidential information (including know-how and trade secrets) and any other intellectual property rights, in each case whether registered or unregistered and including all applications for and renewals or extensions of such rights, and all similar or equivalent rights or forms of protection in any part of the world.|
|Licence||the Licences to the MiQ Content set out at clause 3.1 below.|
|Material||all data, information, content and other materials.|
|MiQ Content||those parts of the Index that are not Referenced Content including all Intellectual Property Rights therein.|
|MiQ-Highwood Index||the index available at [https://miq.org/miq-highwood-index], comprising the MiQ Content and the Referenced Content.|
|Operator||a provider of natural gas and/or infrastructure related to natural gas.|
|Other User||any person or legal entity other than a First-Tier User.|
|Referenced Content||any Material that we have identified as having been licensed from a third party.|
|You||the person or organisation accepting these T&Cs. Where You are acting on behalf of an entity or organisation (such as in the course of your employment), ‘You’ means that entity or organisation.|
2.2 Any words following the terms including, include, in particular, for example or any similar expression, shall be construed as illustrative and shall not limit the sense of the words, description, definition, phrase or term preceding those terms.
2.3 These T&Cs may be hosted on a website which is not operated by MiQ. Where this is the case, these T&Cs will prevail and take in the event that they conflict with any other terms and conditions applicable to such website(s).
3. Licence to MiQ Content
3.1 Subject at all times to Your compliance with these T&Cs, we hereby grant You a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, worldwide, limited, fully paid up licence:
- a) if You are a First-Tier User, to:
- (i) create Derived Material; and
- (ii) use the MiQ Content and the Derived Material for any purpose; and
- b) if You are an Other User, to access, view, copy, store and modify the MiQ Content for the purposes of:
- (i) creating Derived Material; and
- (ii) including the MiQ Content and any Derived Material:
- (1) in internal and/or external reports relating to Your organisation’s governance and/or finances; and
- (2) in internal and external presentations given by You for educational and informational purposes only, provided that none of the above are made available as part of any Commercial Product or Service.
3.2 Except as expressly authorised by clause 3.1 above, the MiQ Content cannot be used:
- a) to create any Derivate Materials; or
- b) as part of any Commercial Product or Service,
without our prior written permission. Please do get in touch with us at email@example.com if you would like to discuss this, as we are often willing to consider bespoke arrangements on a case-by-case basis.
4. MiQ Content attribution requirements
4.1 When You share the MiQ Content and/or any Derivative Data in accordance with clause 3 above, You must:
- a) identify that MiQ is the creator and owner of the MiQ Content and include the following information:
- (i) the name ‘MiQ-Highwood Index’;
- (ii) a copyright notice;
- (iii) a notice that refers to these T&Cs;
- (iv) a notice that refers to the disclaimers and limitations at clause 8 below; and
- (v) a URL or hyperlink to the Index to the extent reasonably practicable; and
- b) indicate where and in what manner You have modified the MiQ Content.
5. Non-permitted use
5.1 You shall not conduct, facilitate, authorise or permit any text or data mining or web scraping in relation to the MiQ Content. This includes using (or permitting, authorising or attempting the use of):
- a) any “robot”, “bot”, “spider”, “scraper” or other automated device, program, tool, algorithm, code, process or methodology to access, obtain, copy, monitor or republish any portion of the site or any data, content, information or services accessed via the same; or
- b) any automated analytical technique aimed at analysing text and data in digital form to generate information which includes but is not limited to patterns, trends and correlations.
This clause shall not apply insofar as (but only to the extent that) we are unable to exclude or limit text or data mining or web scraping activity by contract under the laws which are applicable to us.
6. Referenced Content
6.1 All Referenced Content in the Index is made available subject to the terms of the relevant licence (for example, some Referenced Content is made available on the terms of the CC BY 4.0 License). Please review all third party licences carefully and ensure that you are comfortable with them before using any Referenced Content for any purpose.
6.2 MiQ is not responsible for any Referenced Content and we have no control over the terms of any licence(s) applicable to Referenced Content.
7. Intellectual property
7.1 We are the owner or licensee of all Intellectual Property Rights in the Index. All rights not expressly by pursuant these T&Cs are reserved.
7.2 “MiQ” is a registered trade mark of MiQ, and ‘Highwood’ is a trade mark of Highwood Emissions Management Inc. (together, the Trade Marks). You are not permitted to use the Trade Marks without our approval other than to identify the Index and its provenance.
8. Non-reliance and limitation of liability
8.1 Whilst we have taken care in the preparation of the MiQ Content, the Licence is provided free of charge and strictly on the basis of the disclaimers and limitations of liability in this clause 8.
8.2 The MiQ Content is made available for general information only and it is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content of the MiQ Content.
8.3 We make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the MiQ Content is accurate, complete or up to date.
8.4 We exclude all implied conditions, warranties, representations or other terms that may apply to our site or any content on it.
8.5 Subject to clauses 8.6 and 8.7, we will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- a) use of, or inability to use, the Index;
- b) use of or reliance on any part of the Index; or
- c) any aspect of these T&Cs.
8.6 In particular, we will not be liable for:
- a) loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- b) business interruption;
- c) loss of anticipated savings;
- d) loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation;
- e) regulatory fines, sanctions or other enforcement action; or
- f) any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
8.7 We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
9. General terms
9.1 We may make amendments from time to time. We may amend these T&Cs and the Index (including the MiQ Content) from time to time. Every time you wish to use the MiQ Content, please check these T&Cs to ensure you have the latest version of the Index (including the latest version of the MiQ Content) and understand the terms that apply at the relevant time.
9.2 No guarantee of availability.
- a) The Licence is provided free of charge and we do not guarantee that the Index or the MiQ Content will always be available.
- b) We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of the Index, the MiQ Content and/or the Licence for any reason.
9.3 Assignment and other dealings. We may transfer our rights and obligations under these T&Cs without notice to you. You may not transfer your rights or obligations under these T&Cs to any third party.
9.4 Third party links. Where these T&Cs, the Index or other related materials contain links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
9.5 Linking to the Index.
- a) You may link to or share the Index, provided you do so in a way that:
- (i) includes these T&Cs in full (including any documents or websites linked to by these T&Cs); and
- (ii) is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it; and
- (iii) does not suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- b) The MiQ Content must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page.
9.6 Viruses and other malware.
- a) We have taken reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Index is secure and free from bugs and other viruses, but we do not make any guarantees. Please use your own virus protection software.
- b) You must not misuse the Index by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to the Index, the server on which the Index is stored or any server, computer or database connected to the Index. You must not attack the Index via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack.
9.7 Third party rights. These T&Cs do not give rise to any rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any of its terms.
9.8 Severance. If any provision or part-provision of these T&Cs is or becomes invalid, illegal or unenforceable, it shall be deemed deleted, but that shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the rest of these T&Cs.
9.9 Governing law and jurisdiction. These T&Cs, their subject matter and their formation (and any non-contractual disputes or claims) are governed by English law. We both agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
These T&Cs were last amended on June 20, 2023.